Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Perfect Christmas

This afternoon we had our November bookclucb meeting. Yes I know it's December but November always seems to get pushed to the first weekend in December because of Thanksgiving, plus we don't have a meeting in December so it doesn't hurt anything.

Anyway, November was my month because I switched with Jen, there was just no way I was going to be able to host Octobers with the move. Since I knew we would be having the meeting today I decided on a Christmas themed book I just didn't know which book at first. I thought it was going to be super easy to pick a book but it ended up being harder than I thought. In the end I went with Debbie Macombers The Perfect Christmas.

There really isn't much to say about the book. It was cute, fun, and predictable but it left you with an overall happy feeling which a Christmas story should. Actually if you have been watching Lifetime, Hallmark, or ABC family then you know the type of story it is. In the book the main character is given 3 Christmas related tasks to complete to get what she wants. One of those tasks is to host the perfect Christmas Dinner for friends and family. Now she made the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, and three different pies. As I was reading this I was feeling a little sad because there was no way I was going to make a full Christmas meal for the meeting but I always try really hard to pull my menu from the book whether it be food they eat in the book or food that matches the theme of the book. This would have been so easy to do but in the end I decided to go with a smaller version of what my family eats on Christmas day. We had veggies and dip, cheese, summer sausage, and apples slices for appetizers. For the main meal I served
Ham, Cheesy potatoes, corn, and dinner rolls. To finish the meal I served a warm Dutch Apple pie.

Of course with it actually being Christmas my house was already decorated to go with the theme of the book and this gave me another chance to use my Christmas china which I usually only get to use once a year. I hadn't yet decorated my table for Christmas so I took this chance to make my centerpiece and set the table. It turned out better than I thought so of course I have to share a few pictures of it.





It ended up being a very nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The food was great and it's always nice to have some girl time without kids running around interrupting you every two seconds. The best part though for me was finally getting to show the new house to some of my friends.

1 comment:

Tiffany McCallen said...

Your table was beautiful, as always! Still looking forward to seeing your house soon...