Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sister Update

No no I have not fallen off the face of the earth I've just been a little out of sorts. There has been so much going on in the past 2 months most of which has been very stressful. I think I have moved past most of that now but I'm still dealing with some work crap.

Of course the biggest stress in my life has been my sister's Cancer. Last week my Aunt Pat and I flew to San Diego to be with her during her surgery. We were able to fly in the day before and we toured the city and did a ton of sightseeing.

Wend morning we took Steph to the hospital for her surgery. It was only supposed to last 3 hours tops so when we hit the 3 hour mark and had not heard anything we started to worry. At the 4 hour mark they finally came out and talked to us. Everything had gone fine, the cancer had not spread to the lyphmnodes but there was a nodule on the opposite side from the tumor. They took the whole thyroid just to be safe.

The next 8 hours for Steph were really hard. She had a reaction to the anesthesia which made her very sick to her stomach. I know what it feels like to get sick after having a c-section so I can only imagine how it would feel to vomit after having your neck sliced open. After 4 different medications they finally found one that stopped the vomiting and she was able to get some sleep. They were also able to get her calcium levels up so she only had to spend one night there.

The next few days we took Steph out on some short trips. My sister does not sit still for long periods of time and hates to be confined so this was necessary to keep her sane. My Aunt and I also spent and afternoon with Stephs car doing some shopping while Steph was at home with her boyfriend.

Our last day in San Diego Steph was feeling much better so we all went to the beach on Coronado Island for the afternoon and my feet got burnt.

We fly home on Sunday and my mom fly out Sunday to be with Steph this week. She has had her stitches removed and her post op appointment. It looks like she will have her radiation treatments in about 6 weeks. The type of Cancer she had will require a radiation that you can't be on medication for so this will take every ounce of energy away from Steph but other than that things are looking really good!

As soon as I can find the time I will post some pictures from my trip. San Diego is truly a beautiful city and you should go if you haven't been.

1 comment:

T said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is going through this! I pray this is something you look at years from now and feel blessed that she is healthy! Praying for great results!