Thursday, November 12, 2009

A++

This evening Dave and I went to our first Parent Teacher Conference for Emma. The first thing Emma's teacher said to us was that this wouldn't take long because Emma was great and she just loved her. I'm not sure I can really explain how that made me feel but it was a very good feeling.

Emma's teacher went over the report card that was sent home last week. Emma's vocabulary is way beyond where it should be, it might possibly be beyond the level expected at the end of the year. Emma can count twice as high as what is needed during this point in the school year. She knows what letters make what sounds, and she is right where she needs to be with reading. Emma has also achieved the Shapes, Colors, and Size recognition when they only expect the kids to know one of the three at this point. The one thing Emma does need some work on is writing her lowercase d's and b's she tends to get them confused but her teacher said that is very normal. We were also informed that Emma is always eager to learn something new, she is a big help in the classroom and she has the ability to notice when other kids in her class are struggling with something and she will help them.

I think the best part for me was hearing that Emma helps the other kids when they need it without being told to and that it is truly helping the other children. Even though I knew Emma was more than ready for school and that she was smart enough to handle it it was still a scary thing. What if she doesn't do well, what if she doesn't grasp all the things she needs to, what if she doesn't make any friends and the other kids pick on her? After tonight those fears are all gone and all that's left is pride that Emma is my child and she is excelling. That may sound a little cocky but I honestly can't help it I am so proud of my baby girl and I want to share it with everyone. I'm sure you other parents out there get that.

Oh and since Emma is doing so well Dave and I stopped at the Book Fair going on in the Library and bought her a new book that we gave her tonight and some more for Christmas. She loved her book and even read some of it to us before bed tonight which is amazing to hear.

2 comments:

T said...

Sounds like you have a little gem there momma!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on excellent parenting! And to Miss Emma, for being a star student! :) - tif