Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Day of First

My MIL's 50th birthday is next weekend and Dave hasn't been able to think of anything to get her for her birthday that we can afford. It seems the older she gets the harder it is to figure out what to get her for birthday's and holidays. Last week when Dave and I were talking about her birthday he mentioned maybe getting her some kind of memento but he still didn't know what.

This morning I left the kids at home with Dave and I went to do my grocery shopping. While I was standing in the slowest line on earth an idea popped into my head out of nowhere. After I got home and put the groceries away I jumped on the computer to see if there was a pottery painting place nearby that was open on Sundays.

I got lucky because there is one at Easton Town Center called Color Your World. There website explained that you just go in and pick your piece then paint it however you want. They will fire it and it will be ready in a week. So Dave, the kids, and I headed up there. we picked a wavy platter and I put both the kids hand prints on it with their names painted under them. The kids also had me paint We love you across the top only we used a heart stencil instead of the word love. I really like the way it looked and I'm really hoping it looks great when it's done. I've never done anything like this before but it was really fun. I think the kids and I will be going back again and maybe next time I will let them pick something to paint.

By the time we got home it was time to start dinner. I have been stuck in a cooking rut lately because of the crazy stress I've been under so I decided to get on Food Networks website this morning while I was making my grocery list and I found a couple new and quick recipes to try. The one I tried tonight was Rachel Ray's Chicken Mug Pie and it was delicious. It was also easy and quick to make which makes it a winner in my book.

Now I am sitting in my chair with a very full belly wishing it weren't Sunday evening already. Hopefully the good day from today will rub off onto tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute gift idea! I bet she'll love it. So what's in the Chicken dish? Sounds intriguing... - Tif

SouthernDogwoods said...

What a great idea! So creative & thoughtful! I know she will love it!