Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Little Brother

Last week I wrote about my younger sister Steph, this week I am going to tell you all about my younger brother Nicklaus.

Nick and Alicia

Back in May I wrote a post about how he was named after the famous golfer Jack Nicklaus but there wasn't much about my brother.

When my parents told me they were having another baby I asked for them to give me a brother. There was no way I wanted another sister. When the doctors told my parents they were having another girl I was the only one that continued to insist it was a boy. I prayed every night for God to bring me a baby brother.

The week Nick was born was an eventful one for our family. At the beginning of that week my dad had surgery on one of his knees and was on crutches. On February 23 Steph turned 2, on February 24 I dropped Steph and she fell off the top bunk bed (she wasn't supposed to be up there in the first place) and she broke her collar bone,and on February 25 Nick was born. I'm not sure how my mom managed that week, I'm pretty sure all the commotion probably sent her into labor.

Unfortunately shortly after Nick was born our father got really sick and died when Nick was 9 months old. With everything going on during that time I don't remember Nick as a baby. My first real memory of him isn't until he was about 2 and our mom got us our first dog. I can see that little blond hair, blue eyed boy chasing Skippy around the backyard.

My favorite memory of Nick as a little kid with out a doubt is the time Steph and I piled up all the dirty clothes and blankets we could find on the floor of the laundry room and sent Nick down the laundry chute into the pile. Steph and I had fun pushing him down and he liked falling into the big pile of clothes so we did this all the time. Amazingly he never got hurt and our mom never knew we did it until we told her a few years ago. I also remember forcing Nick to dress up in our dresses. We really tortured that poor kid.

As Nick grew up it became apparent that he was a gifted student. When I was in the 9th grade and he was in the 5th grade he would help me with my Algebra homework. Truthfully, Nick taught me Algebra just from reading my math book better than my teacher did. There's nothing like your little brother doing your homework to make you feel stupid.

This past May Nick got married to his High School sweetheart who we all love. They built a house together about 10 minutes from me, they have two dogs Zeus (doxin), Daphne (Siberian Huskie) and one cat Titan. Nick works as a Sleep Tech for a sleep clinic and he is going to school to be a Pharmacists. We don't see each other very much because he works third shift.

I am very glad that God listen to my prays and gave me a little brother, life would not be the same without the Nick Man in it.

2 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

That is sooo sweet. What a great brother AND he willingly helped you with your homework. Very cool! Oh and I like the naming. That is funny. My Dad would appreciate that.

LiteralDan said...

He sounds as cool and successful as I am not. Plus, he got to ride down a laundry chute. Man...