Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkins

A few weeks ago Dave and I took the kids to the pumpkin patch and we each got to pick a pumpkin out of the field. Then last weekend Sharon took the kids to another pumpkin patch while she had him and they each got to pick out another pumpkin.

Dave and I decided that we would carve the 4 largest pumpkins and leave the smallest two for decoration. So last night after I cleaned up dinner, I covered the table with newspaper and got all the carving tools out and we began.

The first thing we did was decided what kind of faces our pumpkins should have.

Ian showing me the sad face he wanted his pumpkin to have

Emma making a drawing of the face for her pumpkin

Then we had to open them up and clean them out. I HATE this part with a passion so I was very glad to have the kids help this year.





Once the pumpkins were cleaned out we drew the faces on them and then Dave used his router to carve them our. This process goes so much faster when we do it this way which is important when your trying to keep a 5 and 3 year old attention.



Once they were all carved and cleaned up we took them outside for our annual pumpkin pictures.

Big Pumpkin is mine and the Little Pumpkin is Emma's

Big pumpkin is Dave's and the Little pumpkin is Ian's

4 comments:

Emily said...

Man Emma looks like you!
I love the pumpkins and I am so, SO glad to know that the router is brought out (as well as any other power tools) when pumpkin carving, decorating the tree...etc.
You make me feel normal.
YOu all did a NICE JOB!!!!!
EM

Tiffany McCallen said...

The router, really? I never would have thought of that, but it makes so much sense. I once had a pumpkin "tool" that I think was supposed to work like that, but it was absolutely sucky. :) Your pumpkins turned out great! We're going to forage into that territory ourselves one of these nights...

Lindsay said...

Good job! Your pumpkins look great...We still have to get our pumpkins and carve them...yikes! cutting it a little close wouldn't you say? :)

Kelly said...

So fun!