Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How we became The Wilson's

I guess Dave and I owe our getting together to two people. My best friend (at the time) Beth and Dave's friend Jake who were dating. For some reason they thought we would make a cute couple and they were right. On December 18, 1996 Dave asked me to be his girlfriend. I know that sounds silly but at the time Dave was 16 and I was 15. OK, I know most of you are amazed right now because that means that Dave and I are High School Sweethearts and that just doesn't happen anymore, but it did for us.

After two and a half years of dating Dave proposed to me. It was one of those beautiful crisp fall nights in October our favorite time of the year. Since I was only 18 at the time we decided to have a long engagement plus I had this weird idea of not wanting to get married until I was 21 so I could legally drink at my own wedding. It sounds really stupid but I was young and it seemed important at the time.

On August 17, 2002 Dave and I were married. Yes I was 21 but barely. We had a beautiful ceremony at Madison Christian Church which was preformed by Dave's grandfather. I don't think there was a dry eye in the crowd. Then it was on to the reception at Cheers Chalet just outside of Lancaster. Looking back there is nothing I would change about that day, it was wonderful and it turned out the way Dave and I wanted it to.

Next on our agenda was children and like allot of couples out there we had hoped to get pregnant on our Honeymoon but it didn't quite work that way. After 7 months of trying and one miscarriage I started waking up every morning sick to my stomach. By this point I had started to think that I was never going to get pregnant and I just thought the upset stomach was caused by my allergies. After three mornings of this Dave finally asks me if I'm pregnant and of course I said no way, he didn't believe and made us go to the store to get a pregnancy test. Boy am I glad he did that because he was right I was finally pregnant after what seemed like a lifetime of trying.

My pregnancy in the beginning was horrible and I thought everyday that I was going to die. I had really bad morning sickness that was not just in the morning but all day long. I lost 7 pounds in my first trimester but shortly into my second it stopped and I was able to eat again. Then came the back and hip pains that made it very hard to stand, walk, and move in general. Thankfully though non of this affected the baby and everything was just as it should be until the beginning of the third trimester. At this point most babies are head down but not mine. The doctors said there was still time for her to flip but if she didn't I would need to have a c-secton. Allot of women probably would have freaked out at this point but not me. A few months before this one of my good friends had a baby after 30 some hours of labor and while waiting in the hospital for her to have the baby I realized there was no was I would be able to have a natural birth. Of course everyone thought I was nuts and told they told me that my body would know what to do when the time came. Well guess what I was right, my baby did not turn she kept her head right under my rib cage and her feet on my pelvic bone.

So at 6 AM on October 5, 2003 I showed up at St. Ann's hospital to start the pre surgery preparations. At 7 Am they took me into the operating room to do the Spinal. This is the part that I was most scared about and again my intuition was right the Anestisologist missed twice so it took him three times before he got it right. Finally at 8:04 AM our beautiful baby girl was born weighing in at 7 Lbs 4 Oz and 19" long.we named her Emma Mae after a few family members. She was the most beautiful baby girl I had ever seen with a ton of dark hair and big blue eyes.

Fast forward 18 months and Dave and I thinking that it's time to start trying for are second child. Since the first time took 7 months we figured by the time I got pregnant and the baby would be born they would be between 2 and 3 years apart. Well we were wrong, somehow I got pregnant right away this time. This time around the morning sickness didn't start right away but when it did it really did. It was much worse the second time and so was the back pains and hip problems.

I knew from the beginning of this pregnancy that I would have another c-section and we scheduled this for December 30, 2005. We did not make it that far. On December 21, 2005 I woke up feeling very sick to my stomach and having the whole middle section of my body feeling very tight. thankfully I had an appointment that morning so I made myself a piece of toast to try and settle my stomach and went to my appointment. Apparently I must have looked pretty bad because the nurses looked very concerned and got me right in. After the doctor checked me out he sent me on to the hospital to have them hook me up to the monitors. I wasn't having any contractions at this point and I was only dilated to a 3 so I thought he was just being cautious. I went straight home to get Dave so he could drive me to the hospital and to my surprise when I got there Dave was gone and he didn't have his cell on him. I started to panic a little at this point because the next person I would have called, my mom, was on her way to Cincinnati to do her last inspection for the year. So I called my best friend at work and had a minor panic attack. Shortly after that my husband showed up which was very good because at this point I had started to have some contractions. So we ruched to the hospital while my friend tried and succeeded in getting ah old of my mother. Once at the hospital they hooked me to the monitors and said they were going to watch my contractions for about 30 minutes but within 5 they were back in my room telling me that I would be having a baby that day. Since I had eaten that piece of toast I had to wait 8 hours before they could do the c-section. After what seemed like an eternity it was finally time for me to go into surgery. My spinal went perfect this time and the doctors were very funny.

At 6:04 PM our son Ian Michael Argyle was born. Since he was about three and half weeks early he only weighed 6 Lbs. 4 oz and he was 19" long. He was so tiny but just like his sissy he had a ton of dark hair and blue eyes.

So there it is The Wilson Family is complete and now the fun can begin!

1 comment:

Tiffany McCallen said...

I remember seeing Ian in the hospital. He was so tiny and sweet! Gave me quite the baby bug... :)