Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why do humans need sleep?


Today a friend of mine made the comment that she wished humans didn't require sleep because she could get so much more accomplished if she didn't have to sleep. She also said that if we cut out things like showers and annoying stuff like that we would get even more done.

At first I thought she was crazy but the thought of this kept nagging at me as the day went on so I decided to do the math. I thought it would be easiest to go with the 8 hours of sleep you should get each night to calculate the hours. This is what I came up with:

I have been alive for approximately 6 leap years which are 366 days so that equals 2,196 days. That leaves 21 years with 365 days in them totalling 7,665. I then added 2,196 + 7,665 = 9,861 days that I have been alive. Next I multiplied 9,861 x 8 = 78,888 hours. If you keep doing the math this means I have spent about 9 years of my 27 years alive sleeping!

HOLLY CRAP that is allot of hours spent sleeping, I don't think I want to add in the time spent showering because that really is allot of wasted time. I can't even begin to imagine how much more I would have accomplished by now if we didn't need the sleep.

So now I am wondering what I would do with all that extra time any suggestions?

No comments: